COVID : Basic ISL video for help and some point and show charts, and information.
COVID TIMES....Some general points for PwD and caregivers that can bring no harm and will help ensure we are prepared.
1. Sanitize and wash hands regularly.
2. People who have facial paralysis and drool sometimes must be attended to with care.
3. People with breathing difficulties must be monitored on a regular basis.
4. Wheelchairs, canes, crutches etc must be disinfected/sanitized especially after any outing.
5. People who have anxiety, mood swings or depression must have access to a counselor. Number to be handy.
6. People who feel the need to communicate with friends or family members, must be given an option to do so via audio or video chats.
7. Grab rails, hand rails, etc to be disinfected/sanitized.
8. Elevator buttons, handrails to be sanitized /disinfected.
9. Phones to be sanitized after use.
10. Caregivers to ensure that they're always clean, use gloves where possible and wash/disinfect hands.
11. Medical, utility [diapers, dressings, bibs, dry bedding, linen], cleaning, recreational and therapy supplies to be kept handy.
12. Speech, physio or any other important therapy to be continued at home without fail.
13. Emergency numbers to be kept handy. Those who live alone must have a list typed and stuck on the wall where it can be seen.
14. People with HI who mainly understand sign language must be communicated with. Children, youth, adults and elders will feel left out of conversations at home. Please make an effort to sign/write/draw. If there is a smart phone, allow them to call friends who can sign to them via video chat.
15. People with visual impairment to have access to clean and sanitary washrooms and spaces that they frequent. Utensils, clothes, bed linen, etc should be washed and clean.
16. People who are deafblind and use touch for communication must ensure that they clean their hands after contact.
All of us should be ready to lend a hand if need be. Let us not wash our hands off our duties as responsible citizens. We may be the ones needing help anytime too!
Anita Iyer, Founder & Mg Trustee, www.ekansh.org